More than 30 years ago, the Rector (Fr. Tony Wood) and the Assistant Rector (Fr. Arthur Rossiter) opened St. Paul’s Choir School in the Rectory of St. Paul’s Anglican Church Bankstown, so that they could have a choir to sing the 1662 Book of Common Prayer Anglican Service each Sunday. It was here, in such humble beginnings, that the foundations of Georges River Grammar were established.
As the small school grew, the need became apparent for a Secondary School, which would see the Anglican and Uniting Churches in Bankstown create Bankstown Grammar School as a joint venture. In 1988, the Uniting Church withdrew from the partnership and Bankstown Grammar School became an independent coeducational Anglican Secondary School.
Bankstown Grammar School moved to the current Georges Hall site in 1989, followed by St Paul’s Choir School in 1991. While both schools were entirely separate entities, the Schools had the same Principal. In an effort to extend this continuity, in 2004, the two Schools combined into one entity. Today, this journey of over three decades has transformed St Paul’s Choir School and Bankstown Grammar School into Georges River Grammar – a School in the Anglican Tradition.
At GRG, our aim is to provide each student with a Christian foundation that encourages them to understand Biblical reliability and theology in today’s world. Through weekly Christian Studies classes and Chapel services, we encourage all students to grow with a sound understanding of who God is and who they are according to the scriptures. Students learn about the life and teachings of Jesus Christ, and are provided with opportunities for spiritual growth through Christian service and acts of charity towards the poor, underprivileged and marginalised.
All who support the Anglican ethos of the School are welcome in our GRG Community.